Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Reflection Week 5

A reflection from last week and a major gap I have found I have is around Hapara.  Madeline came into class yesterday and showed me a couple of things that have already made my life so much easier already!  I am now super keen to see what other wee tricks there are!

Visible - it is great to get clarification around this.  I do feel at times we may need to be more visible in our school.  I think this is in all areas staff sharing information, planning etc and students understanding about visibility.  Some staff need to ensure WALT's a visible and children know what is coming up.

Staff and students both need a drone view of the maze so they can see what the end goal is - a nice metaphor that Dorothy used.  The most effective practice means there will be no surprises. 

We also need to be aware that using devices at times can make learning harder to see if we don't make the conscious effort to make it visible.  Am I doing this?  I would say 50% of the time.  I need to improve on this.

New vocab today - technologist!

I have been blown away with the robot and AI examples that we have been shown today!  I can't wait to show this to my class but will definitely confirm that what AI means for my farming kids. 

Skinvision - this is incredible, affordable and is helping to save lives!  This would be a great teaching tool to show the children who we can save lives in the most unique ways.

We had a timely reminder of the power of YouTube and how if you are a hit on Youtube you can be seen by more people that our national news.  We must remember the power of this site.

Scratch:


This is a fantastic resource to have!  I feel like this lifted the fog on coding for me!  I can see that this resource will be wonderful use in the classroom and it is great timing because my own son came home last night and showed me he had done coding at his school.  

Next step: To complete the instructions the the OMG Tech team gave us in the workbook.  Watch this space on my next reflection to see how this goes.

I really enjoyed the discussion around 'What is the internet?'  this is a question I have thought about often but never found an answer and still didn't get one today.  It was good though that we think about challenging our thoughts around technology.

A major learning moment for me today was around binary.  I had no idea this is how computers work.  I still don't feel that I have a strong grasp on this but it is important to know if I am going to do my kids justice when teaching them about this.

I feel very over whelmed with the information we have received today but it was all beneficial and I hope I can fit some time in over the weekend to play some more with these new skills.  I understand the place of technology and the future of it within the classroom and I also understand that I need to do my best to keep up with the changes.

3 comments:

  1. Gosh Amanda, you got so much out of todays session. It is great to have these hands on activities that we can take away and use with our classes because we understand the tasks we will be setting our students. Asking kids what they think the Internet is would be a great brainstorming exercise, because like you ,while I have learned a lot, I'm still not totally sure of what it is, but wouldn't it be interesting to get the student voice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amanda, I enjoyed reading your blog post. I'm out of words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Amanda. Your brain must be overloaded with all your amazing new knowledge.It's an incredible learning experience.

    ReplyDelete